Gist, Health

Must Read : Men, See Why You Should Not Eat “Okro”

okro99

Okro, also known as the “ladies finger” is a flowering plant in the mallow family. It is very nutritious as it is highly rich in carbohydrate, vitamins, water, and protein.

But studies have shown that it may be dangerous to men as it can cause infertility. Okro has a unique substance called “GOSSYPOL”. Gossypol inhibits sperm production and motility by blocking several enzymes that are highly important in energy metabolism in sperm and sperm producing cells.

Gossypol has been used as a male contraceptive for years in china. some clinical research were conducted in regards the effectiveness of gossypol as a contraceptive in 1986 and 1990 in china and Brazil respectively. The studies showed that gossypol lowered the number and motility of sperms and made small percentage of men infertile permanently.

Gossypol may also cause menstrual irregularity in women. it has also been linked to hypokalemia and also damage to red blood cells leading to haemolytic anaemia.

Conclusively, Okro in higher amount is not recommended in people with following conditions:
Anaemic people. Athletes.

Women who complains of irregular menses.
Infertile men undergoing medical investigation and treatment.
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Comments

comments

SEE ALSO :  #BBNaija: TBoss Sheds Tears, says she really wants to win the head of House, She Feels People don’t like her (Photos+Video)

You Might Also Like

28 Comments

• Reply Andrew Taire September 24, 2016 at 9:19 am

I don’t believe it, we have been eating okro for long , and am bam , please don’t discourage us from eating okro soup you hear?

• Reply mark October 1, 2016 at 11:44 am

My has eight children ad we ate okro with kpomo last night. Lol we are Africans !! As the story said it was China n Brazil.

• Reply Nsidibe Efik October 1, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I so much like okra soup and nobody can stop me, ok?
    So, could you please go for another research
    and leave okra alone?

• Reply Timothy October 3, 2016 at 8:38 pm

okro is my best soup. so u can’t stop me from eating okro.My father has 14 MALE CHILDREN AND 9 FEMALE CHILDREN. Yet he eat okro soup five times a week .So pls go and do more research and live OKRO alone.

• Reply Daranijo Aderemu October 5, 2016 at 9:52 am

When are we going to stop these white people of deceiving africal whatever that is good for us in our land always becomes bad fruit. They know that we dont need to ecport okro thats why is not good.
    Okro is even good for canser in yoruba deep wisdom, Many things we use okro to cure when talk about sickness in yoruba land.

• Reply Evelyn Ogwulu October 5, 2016 at 10:40 am

Pls my best food is okro soup. I don’t understand what you guys are saying.

• Reply Amos Balami October 6, 2016 at 5:22 pm

To make My story short, My father’s favourite soup since he was a child till now is “Okro soup “. So U’re just being delusional!!!

• Reply Ken October 6, 2016 at 5:27 pm

This is bullshit…I wonder who carries out these so called studies

• Reply Ken October 6, 2016 at 5:32 pm

If this is true, every one from my side of the world would have suffered from infertility. We eat okoro from childhood to adulthood. Let learn how not bel hasty in publishing the nonsense findings

• Reply Clippzee October 7, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Wetin concern me. Okro is my favorite

• Reply Olu October 8, 2016 at 8:33 am

Ila alasepo….o dun to….

• Reply Oladimop Opio October 19, 2016 at 8:28 pm

I don’t even know what they want us to eat this days, may God deliver us oooo.

• Reply Ajala olawale November 13, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Okro no good but apple good. Go and do another research

• Reply ben November 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

WE must eat okrow i dont care 4 ur research ok.

• Reply innocentglory November 27, 2016 at 8:56 am

First it was said if men sud eat okro it increase their manhood and make the sperm nurishable but now dey are the same pple saying we sud not eat okro hmmm abeg na okro i wan cook tomorrow for my swty

• Reply Ejindu Ozara November 27, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I have known okro or okra to be a blood builder. In fact there is a food supplement made in China for building blood. When it was analysed it was discovered to have been made with okro. How come accusing fingers are now being pointed to the same okro for being a culprit in male infertility. Something must be wrong somewhere. I recommend that the research be repeated. My people of Abiriba cannot do without okro which they have been eating for ages.

• Reply Egbah Joseph November 28, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Okro is my favorite, so disappointed in your research ,get away u researcher.

• Reply Viv December 6, 2016 at 11:27 am

I knew a man that was asked to stop eating okro soup by his doctor

• Reply Stefik January 10, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Nobody can stop me from eating okro soup, very soon their research will now divert to ogbono and ewedu. Abeg make una leave us alone oooo.

• Reply Holmes February 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Na real lie. My papa eat it very well yet he has 7 of us from one mother

• Reply Holmes February 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Na real lie. My papa eat it very well yet he has 7 of us from one mother

• Reply Micah James April 16, 2017 at 8:42 am

These are just elemental teaching of the universe from demonic inspirations. There is nothing GOD has created as in regards to vegetations that is harmful to humans.
    Please! Cut the crap!

• Reply STEPHEN April 17, 2017 at 7:11 am

I like the responses am getting here. D last time I checked burger is good,then okro is bad.Rubbish. wat the researcher should know is dat every food found in nature is balanced and good for humans. Its tampering and tinkering with these foods that brought much diseases. In fact i will eat okro throufht this week

• Reply freed@yahoo.com May 17, 2017 at 8:57 pm

that is not true

• Reply Ogunbodede Idowu September 23, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Sometimes we do not know what to write. Okra is not good, Okra is good, which one are we to believe?

• Reply Chris September 23, 2017 at 6:34 pm

It’s not by force for you to stop eating onkro. It is true that any one is entitled to his or her opinions, but may I say that it is total ignoranc and illiteracy that is responsible for some of Nigerians health short coming. Many of you just opens mouth any how and irritatingly speaks dispicslbly, why? Does it means that the scientists that did the research are stupid? If all of you don’t have brain please keep shurt. Your comments all is just irritating. Some of you don’t even know how to construct simple English. If you are not convinced then go and research on your own before making noise. Your comments all are annoying.

• Reply Skyface leks September 27, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Okro has been my favorite soup since my childhood and now am 29 yrs with two kids, then tell me how will i agree with you

• Reply MC Up nepa September 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm

which kind rubbish be ds Na? una no go kill person Abeg. men lov okro ooooooooooo. a gud vocalist does not play with okro. we singers even eat it raw to clear our voices.